Friday, September 11, 2009

First Impressions of Vidya Mandir Senior Secondary School – from Mike

Having taught for the past eleven years at Cedarburg High School, I was a little nervous as I was about to begin my teaching assignment in India. At Cedarburg High I was accustomed to a well-equipped classroom with the latest technology, class sizes that typically stay below thirty students, and a great support network from my colleagues. In terms of a high school teaching assignment in the United States, I find myself fortunate. What exactly would I face as I prepared for my first day in an Indian classroom?

Within hours of my first day on the job at Vidya Mandir Senior Secondary School, it became clear to me that any fears I had were unfounded. Students, faculty and parents greeted me warmly. Now three weeks into the job, the enthusiasm continues. Any walk down the hallway involves returning dozens of greetings of “Good morning, sir!!” I also seem to be the daily beneficiary of birthday treats from any student who happens to be celebrating their birthday that day. With nearly two thousand students in the school (K thru 12), I have not lacked for sweets.

While there are tremendous strengths in the American educational system, I have found some interesting and inviting differences while teaching at Vidya Mandir School. A tremendous culture of respect is reinforced with students. Each morning begins with a brief assembly where students chant a Sanskrit prayer. While I don’t understand the words, I am impressed with one thousand teens showing daily reverence to their gods. When I enter the classroom, all students rise and stand as they wait for me to greet them. At the end of the lesson, some students will rise again and say “Thank you, sir!” as I leave the classroom.

I was a bit surprised to find that most students like math! Even abstract math. The level of engagement is high. Every student takes notes in a school issue “class book”. These we periodically collect to grade notes and to make sure students have completed the homework. Since students typically work EVERY problem in the text as either class work or homework, these books fill up quickly. Some students buy supplemental texts and work these problems as well. The curriculum is abstract, challenging and several grade levels ahead of the standard U.S. high school curriculum.

While I occasionally yearn for my air-conditioned classroom back in Cedarburg, my teaching experience in India has been excellent. I love the high level of mathematics that is being taught and I am confident that these experiences will help me to continue to improve as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment